Sunday, 27 December 2015

BuckLand Hospital Dover!

Firstly the site is huge even though much has been demolished the buildings that remain cover a fair old amount of land!

History ever so blatantly stolen from a local newspaper website..

What became the hospital building was first a union workhouse, called Buckland Bottom in Union Road (now renamed Coombe Valley Road).
It opened in September 1836, and offered up to 500 people in poverty accommodation and employment opportunities.
An entrance block on the north side contained a boardroom and the master’s quarters.
There were narrow structures around the central courtyard which contained the inmates’ rooms.
A children’s block was later created to the west of the workhouse and is believed to be the first part of what is now the hospital.
The first medical building was added and joined by a new infirmary block in 1884.
By 1901, more extensions were built, including residential homes for nurses.
The main workhouse building was refurbished after the First World War, but no longer exists 
Throughout the Second World War the newer buildings were used as casualty wards, which it is believed had about 110 beds with access to underground bunkers.
It officially became a hospital in 1948 after the introduction of the National Health Service (NHS) in July that year.
A few pictures of the buildings explored,there are dozens of very similar large emtpy rooms ,a chapel and many treatment rooms with receptions .The morgue is long gone but much of the original equipment lays dotted around the place.

Visited with Obscurity....












 

No comments:

Post a Comment