Visited with UrbanGinger one dark damp night
Bit of history.
Ditton Research lab was originally opened by The Empire Marketing Board in 1930.
The EMB was formed in May 1926 by the Colonial Secretary Leo Amery to promote inter-Empire trade and to persuade consumers to 'Buy Empire'. It was actually established as a substitute for tariff reform and protectionist legislation and this is why it was eventually abolished in 1933, as a system of imperial preference replaced free trade.
The EMB had three principal aims: to support scientific research, promotion of economic analysis, and publicity for Empire trade.
The purpose of this laboratory was to carry out experiments on the shipping of fruit across the high seas,in order to extend its life over long,seabourne journeys. This is where the "ship on land" experiment originated from.
In 1969 the lab was incorporated into the nearby East Malling Research Station as the fruit storage section.