Visited with Space inaveder,Obscurity Silver Rainbow..Met up with SK and Nelly
Some History written by some one else
In 1846, a new railway line opened between Stratford and Canning Town. A year later, it was extended to North Woolwich, a station on the north bank of the Thames connected by ferry to the south.
The North Woolwich Line (as it became known) would continue to exist in some fashion until 2006. Then, having been incorporated into the North London Line in the seventies, it was finally withdrawn from service, with the DLR's Stratford extension taking over responsibility for passenger services in the area.
One of the most notable features of the North Woolwich stretch was the Silvertown tunnel. Built in 1878, this 600m cut-and-cover tunnel allowed the railway to be diverted under the newly-built Connaught passage which connected the Victoria and Albert docks.
This tunnel, which has lain dormant since the closure of the line, will soon be graced by rail traffic once more - this time for Crossrail where, as the Connaught Tunnel, it forms a key part of the project's "renovate and reuse" approach to work. The tunnel will require extensive work, not least due to the need to increase the available height to accomodate overhead wiring, but structurally it remains sound and many of its current features will be preserved.
The tender for the tunnel work is now out, and Crossrail were kind enough to invite London Reconnections to accompany them on an inspection of the tunnel - a rare opportunity to see a dormant piece of London's railway history before it is restored to action.